Woo! It’s been a couple weeks since I’ve done a weekly wishes post, and I know this week I’ll need it! Today is my first day in front of students actually teaching with TFA, and I’m pretty optimistic about how it’s going to go! I’m excited to hang out with my new kids and learn about them and help them learn and grow over the summer. I’m even more excited for the fall when I’ll have my own Pre-K kids in a SpEd environment!
For this week, I have so many goals! But I’ll try to keep them to a short (ish) list that can summarize everything!
1) Be the best teacher I can possibly be for these students. Although I’ll only have them for 4 weeks during this summer school session, I know that this learning time is crucial for their long term success next year.
2) Plan out days with my colab group. There are 4 of us working in the same classroom (2 co-teaching at a time, other 2 in training, then we switch) so we need to get more cohesive with how we run the classroom. I already really like who I’ll be working with so that makes things easier!
3) Keep a positive attitude throughout the week. We get so caught up in the craziness and exhaustion of the week that it’s easy to slip into complaining and feeling down about how busy we are. I’m really going to make a conscious effort to stay positive and keep reminding myself of why I’m here and why all this work is worth it.
4) Enjoy Chicago! I’ve been having a little bit of a rough time with this too. I’m not seeing a lot of the city except what’s on the way between where I’m staying and my school, so it’s been easy to think that I don’t much like this city and that I miss Atlanta. I know with more time here and more exploration I’ll grow to love it too, I’m just not there yet!
5) Uh, ya know, do laundry and normal human stuff. Cleaning and laundry have fallen to the bottom of my priority list!
That’ll do for the week! What are your goals for the week? Let me know and I’ll be thinking of you and cheering you on in between everything going on here!