Especially for women, it seems everyone always has an opinion about our lives. From our money to our bodies to our feelings, the general community seems to think we own them an explanation of our actions and decisions. The thing is, these decisions and actions are ours and ours alone, and we just don’t have to justify them.
We don’t owe anyone an explanation.
1. Your definition of success/ your career choice. It’s yours, not theirs. Just because success to some means a corner office and a downtown high rise apartment doesn’t mean you can’t be just as successful in your one bedroom apartment doing a job you love.
2. Not looking perfect every day. No need to apologize for not having on makeup or not getting dressed to the nines all the time (or any of the time, for that matter). Sometimes makeup and real outfits just aren’t going to happen. It’s ok.
3. Your relationship status. Single and lovin’ it? Yay! Single and minglin’? Yay! In a relationship and so in love? Yay!
4. Crying. You know what? Your emotions are valid. You’re not crazy for crying; you’re not over-emotional. It happens, we’re human.
5. How much you are eating. You’re hungry? Great, eat something. Feel like a burger? Great, eat it, even if the girl next to you is ordering a salad. Feel like a salad? Awesome. Eat it, even if the girl next to you is chowing on some wings. As long as you’re not hurting yourself, you’re good!
6. On that note- your weight. I’m all about the body positivity around here. Skinny, fat, in between, whatever. Own it. Work it. You’re awesome.
7. Being a basic ….. you know the rest. I could write a whole post solely on why this whole hating on women for liking the same things as other women is dumb. Especially because many of the things that are considered “basic” are things that make us feel good- like Starbucks, manicures, and leggings and oversized sweaters.
What other things can you think of that we just don’t need to justify to anyone anymore?