I took this picture a couple weeks ago in Aruba! It was so beautiful! More on that later.
I’ve been traveling a bit these past few weeks so I’ve been absent from a lot of things lately. This week, though, I’ve been relaxing at my parents house and I still have a few more days before I head back to Chicago and back to real life.
Mondays are for setting goals and I have A LOT to get done this week so let’s get to it.
1) Finalize travel arrangements for my cat to come with me back to Chicago. Mostly this is taken care of, I just need to pack a carry on that I can carry while also carrying him. I’m excited to have my baby with me in the big city! #CatLady
2) Take care of some grad school paperwork so I can start this second and final year!
3) Doctor, dentist, etc. while I still have the time and familiar providers here at home.
4) Lesson plan like woah. I’ve gotten a lot don already but it still seems like there is SO MUCH to do. Always.
I’m going to leave it at that for this week. What are your goals for the week? Let me know so I can cheer you on from here in Idaho!
Jumping back into the blogging game means jumping back into setting weekly goals for myself. I thrive off of having some direction and goals to meet throughout the week. Lately, since I’m not working this summer, I’ve been especially dependent on my goals and to do lists! I still have so much to get done this summer that I need to stay focused! I’ve been finding myself increasingly distracted if it’s a sunny day, because I just want to be outside. However, I know there is work to be done. It’s storming this morning though and rain is in the forecast for most of the week, so hopefully that means I’ll be more inclined to get things done!
On to the goals!
1) Find a place to live. This is priority number one because, ya know, my lease is up in a couple weeks and it’d be nice to not be on the streets. I have to either find a new roommate to stay in this apartment, or decide if I’d rather live alone and move! I’m leaning toward moving, but we’ll see. I really love my current apartment.
2) House cleaning. The laundry, dishes, clutter clearing kind of cleaning. The house isn’t really that messy, I just don’t want to do it. Hold me accountable, please!
3) Blog at least 2 times this week. It’s going to be a struggle to come back into blogging, but I’ve missed it so much. And after such an overwhelmingly positive and supportive acceptance of my last post, I’m ready for this.
That’s all for this week!
What are your goals for this week? Let me know in the comments so I can cheer you on!
Now, I know I can and should make a really good excuse for why I’ve been away from blogging for a while but the absolute truth is that other priorities have come up and blogging has just fallen to the wayside. Busy is an understatement. Tired doesn’t even come close. But content- yes, content works. Things are going. Life is moving. And while some things are difficult, I am happy that I have been given this life to live. I can’t promise that I’ll be back to blogging steadily now. I will say that I’ll try!
This past weekend was the most wonderful. I traveled down to Kentucky to visit a college friend and had fun brunching, getting our nails done, and celebrating St. Patrick’s day with her co-workers there! Now I’m back in Chicago and ready to go back to work tomorrow. Only a few more weeks till Spring Break!
Anyway. Goals, right? Let’s set some.
|ONE| Blog at least one more time this week. Starting with something!
|TWO| Get to the gym 3 times this week! I only went once last week because I’ve been sick but I feel like I need to go to kick out this last bit of sickness!
|THREE|Take my vitamins every day. I slacked off on these too while I was sick (counter-intuitive, maybe) and lost the habit, so I need to be better about this again! I always have more energy and feel better in general when I take vitamins.
I’ll keep it at that for this week.
What are your goals for this week? Let me know so I can cheer you on too!
Oh my word, you guys. Last time I came to this here blog of mine was to post a weekly wishes post and then I disappeared. Though, I had good reason. I’ve been in Idaho at my parent’s house enjoying family, all the food and ALL the puppies! I literally didn’t even open up my computer until last night to answer some emails. It’s been beautiful to be a little more disconnected than usual and be able to really be present here. We had a lovely Christmas filled with singing for our presents (a family tradition) and playing with the pups around the Christmas tree. Now it is time to prepare for work and school to return for me, though I’m still lucky enough to be able to get work done from here for another week before I head back to Chicago!
I’m happy to say I accomplished all my goals last week and am ready for some brand new ones to close out this year! Next week I will be posting my word of the year and goals for 2015, so I’ll keep this week’s short and sweet!
|ONE| Blog ahead and schedule posts for at least a week. Gotta start small, right?
|TWO| Finish Me Before You and start a new book. I have been LOVING this one and know I need an excellent one to follow it to keep this streak going. I’ve been reading nothing but great books lately and I’m ALL about it.
|THREE| Enjoy my remaining time here in Idaho as much as possible. Having 4 dogs and a cat in the house it’s easy to love being here and having someone to snuggle with all the time! I’m also trying to squeeze in visits with as many friends as possible before I leave but it seems there is never enough time!
What are you goals for this week? Will you join me in talking about yearly goals next week? I’m SO excited for the refreshment that always seems to come with the new year.
I AM SO EXCITED! Today I’m officially launching a Facebook page for my blog with a giveaway! This may seem small but it’s also a big step as I come out of just hanging out here in blog world and sharing with my friends and family. I figure it’s about time! As this blog grows, so does my desire to share with everyone. To celebrate, I’m giving away a $15 Starbucks gift card!
Since it’s the first Monday of the month, I’m also setting my goals for the month! For me, November is also known as the month that stands between me and going home to see my family, so it’s not-so-welcome around here. However, it’s also my mom’s birthday month and Thanksgiving, so I suppose you win some, you lose some!
This month, I’m really going to try to:
1) Move my body! Yoga 4x a week. I KNOW I feel better when I do, so why has been so hard to make time for it?
2) EAT lunch. Take my lunch to work every day! Eating out or not eating lunch at all has become a bad habit. This is such a simple fix but I know it won’t get done if I don’t hold myself accountable!
3) Save, save, save. Have to start now to be able to live through next summer! Teacher struggles.
4) Hydrate my self! I’m only going to be drinking water this month in an effort to rid myself of this caffeine addiction and help my immune system out. I don’t have time to be getting sick anymore!
HOWEVER- Just because I’m not drinking coffee doesn’t mean I don’t want you to enjoy some on me! Help me grow my Facebook Page by giving it a like and following along on these other forms of Social Media as well! a Rafflecopter giveaway
Oh, friends. This is usually where I talk about something super fun or interesting I did this weekend, right? However, this was a catch up weekend and a get better weekend so I’m gonna let my Mama have the spotlight! This weekend, like every year, she participated in the Walk to End Alzheimers. This awful disease took my sweet grandma, so my mother walks every year in her honor. This year she rose over $700 to help with research! Our hope is that someday families like ours and yours won’t be affected, ever, by the touch of Alzheimers.
If that’s not something worth cheering about to start off the week then I just don’t know what is.
I didn’t post any wishes or goals last week, so I’m starting fresh this week!
My goals are to:
1) SLEEP. This is what I’m struggling with most and it is so crucial to getting everything else done. I know I don’t function at my best academically or emotionally without enough sleep so I’ve got to make ita priority.
2) Laundry. I’m running out of comfortable teaching clothes! Must. Wash.
3) Get everything set up on my work computer. I just got a new laptop for work use so I want to transition all my tracking spreadsheets and such onto there instead of my personal computer.
That’s all for this week! What are your goals for the week? Are you ready to take on a new month? Let me know in the comments!
This weekend has been incredibly fun, fulfilling, and BUSY.
After a whirlwind week teaching and going to grad school classes, one of my best friends from college showed up on my doorstep and we went out to explore more of the city, eat ALL the food, and see some generally touristy sights! Plus Sunday brunch was SO needed and I mean discovering a new brunch place never hurts! Every weekend I fall a little more in love with this city and this one was no exception. Fall is showing itself in Chicago and I’m so ready. Not so ready for winter, but I have a little more time to prepare for that. (I think. Right?)
That all being said, Monday has come too fast and I just can’t wrap my head around it yet. Can I get just one more day? No? Well then, I guess I better set some goals.
Last week my goals were to:
1) Make self-care a priority. I did, and maybe a little bit too much? I gave myself a strict bedtime which meant less work got done, but I ended up getting sick and the sleep was necessary!
2) Keep up with my grad school work. Not so much. I mean everything got handed in when it was supposed to, but I just feel behind on it.
3) Meet all my different advisers/supervisors. Yep! I ABSOLUTELY ADORE my supervisor from my grad school. She is seriously one of the most knowledgeable people I have ever met and I look forward to meeting with her weekly about how I can improve my teaching and learn more to help my students!
This week, I’m switching up priorities a little. My goals are to:
1) Get grad school work done and done ahead of time (when possible). I really need to get on this more. With everything else going on, it’s been easy to let my schoolwork fall to the back burner but I’m bringing it back to the front. Getting back into school after taking a year off is hard, but I know it will be so worth it.
2) Still make sure to get enough sleep. I’m still recovering from whatever cold/flu combo my students gave me last week so I need to be careful with overdoing it.
3) Get caught up on emails/blog comments. I really do read each and every comment you all leave and it warms my heart to see them come up in my email. Your support, encouragement, and thoughts make this all so rewarding. I promise to get back to you this week! Ok maybe I shouldn’t promise that but I do promise to try really hard!
What are your goals for the week? I promise even when I don’t respond I’m still cheering you on from afar! Life gets overwhelming sometimes but I know I can push through once I get a better routine going. Let me know what you’re working on in the comments!
Can you tell I’ve been doing some dreaming of next year’s vacation lately? Greece is looking like more and more of an option!
You should all be so proud of me. I actually managed to blog 3 whole times last week! I’m getting back into my groove and it feels so good.
This past week with my students has been incredible. They all warm my heart so much and I feel so lucky to have this job, in this city, with these kids. Now if I can just manage to continue to stay on top of my grad school work at the same time, we’ll be good!
This weekend has been for fro-yo, friends, and food. Oh Chicago, you and your food. I seriously feel like we could eat at a different restaurant every weekend and never run out of places that are SO GOOD. Once I get some more experience here, I’ll start posting about my favorites. It’s going to be so hard to choose!
Last week, my goals were to:
1) Get to know my students! Absolutely! And it’s been amazing getting to know their little souls.
2) Get all my homework done for my grad school class! Uhm, well, ya know. I’m still working on it, I have a paper due tomorrow!
3) Continue to try to make time for myself- yoga, blogging, reading, walking, something! I’ve definitely been walking lots around town, I got caught up on blog reading, and still need to find more time to move my body outside of school.
4) Keep up (at least mostly) with the Blog-tember challenge! I feel like I did pretty good with this- 3 isn’t too bad! I’ll try to do more this week.
This week, I am going to:
1) Make self-care a priority. It is so so important that I remember to do things to make myself happy in the midst of all the busy times!
2) Keep up with my grad school work. Pretty self-explanatory.
3) Meet all my different advisers/supervisors. I have some from TFA, some from my grad program, and of course some from my school.
I am SO looking forward to meeting this week head on. I’m feeling so good lately! How are you feeling? Let me help you out- leave me a message in the comments!
Get my classroom all set up and I’m a little bit in love. Here’s a sneak peak- more to come later!
I literally only blogged once last week and it was this post- Weekly Wishes! Oops. I haven’t answered comments/ emails either. I’ll get to them soon, promise! This past week has been wild- in a good way! After eleventy billion hours and just as many dollars, my classroom is all set up and looking adorable and ready for kids tomorrow! Of course during the work day I had professional development and all that but I found time (aka Saturday) to buckle down and get it all ready. I’ll be sure to post some better pictures after tomorrow, I forgot to take very many when I was in there before.
Last week, my goals were to:
1) Enjoy getting to know and getting used to my new school! This definitely happened. There are still some tension points but I know all of the administrative issues will fade to the back of my mind once I meet all of my new babies!
2) Not cry at school. I didn’t! I didn’t cry once this week! I’m so proud.
3) Make some time for myself at some point this week. I did try to do this. Not as much as I should have, but I did.
This week, I want to:
1) Get to know my students! Ahh! I’ve spent all this time writing their names on a hundred different things around the room and their IEPs and such- I’m excited to meet all the little humans that go with these names!
2) Get all my homework done for my grad school class! This should be easier this week with less meetings.
3) Continue to try to make time for myself- yoga, blogging, reading, walking, something!
4) Keep up (at least mostly) with the Blog-tember challenge!
That being said- I’m going to try out this whole blog-tember thing. I can’t promise I won’t totally quit halfway through but it’s the thought that counts, right? Right.
Today’s prompt is:
Sept 1st: Imagine the front sleeve of a hard cover novel. Give us your “About the Author” so we can get to know one another, and for fun tell us what your imaginary novel would be about.
In this really awesome fictional world where I am a real-life writer of a novel (my emotional 17 year old self would be so proud) I feel like my bio on that front little sleeve would be kept short and sweet.
“Destiny grew up wanting to be Beyonce. She’s still working on that. Thanks for reading.”
OR a haiku because my novel-writing self would be cool like that.
I came here to write. I will give you such a fright. Love me and my cat.
Ok, so maybe not really, but it’s a Monday morning and that’s just about the most fun sleeve bio I can think of right now.
My novel would of course actually be an autobiography because we all know if bloggers like to do one thing it’s write about their live- or at least the entertaining parts!
Do you have a better one for me? What would your author bio say? Let me read them (and your books)!
Sweet little Macy girl! Every summer when I go home I tend to bring home another animal- I wonder how much longer my family will continue letting me come home?
Well I’m back in Chicago and already missing this sweet girl’s face! However, my new roommate’s cat has decided I’m her new best friend so I’ve still been waking up with a furry thing beside me! Also, yesterday when I came back from a shopping trip I got the best parking space right in front of my apartment so now I never want to leave. I suppose I have to go to work though!
Last week was so much fun with my family- I was so sad to leave! This weekend I accomplished moving, getting a bed, and putting together a dresser so I feel pretty accomplished going into this week It’s the first week of work and school and the beginning of this new chapter of my life!
Last week’s wishes were to:
1) Be sure to make the most of my time left with my family. Done! I just wish I could have had more time.
2) Get all moved into my new apartment! Done! I’m in and mostly settled and don’t have too much more to do.
3) SERIOUSLY get everything figured out with my new school. HAHAHA no. Not at all. But ya know, that’s life.
4) Keep baking and cooking and doing these things that allow me to love on and care for my family in such a fun way. Yes! And I loved every minute of it.
This week, my goals are to:
1) Enjoy getting to know and getting used to my new school! Starting work is terrifying and incredibly exciting all at the same time. Time to put all this education and training to good use!
2) Not cry at school. #TeacherLife This week is going to be so busy! I have either meetings or grad school classes every day after work this week. I know that stress and no sleep are going to take a toll on me, so really my goal is just to keep it together!
3) Make some time for myself at some point this week. I need to keep doing my yoga for my sanity and my body!
That’s going to be it for this week. I just want to focus on getting all settled into this job and back into the city most of all!
What are you goals this week? Have a busy week too? Let me know so I can cheer you on!