Oh, 2017. What can I say about this year that other’s haven’t already? It was a year of ups and downs and lots of in-betweens. This year gave me incredible community and friendships. It also taught me lessons that I loved and dreaded, sometimes at the same exact time.
Dear ones, we cried, marched, laughed, protested, and resisted, and most of all, we persisted.
In 2017, I:
- Started teaching online at a job that has made me a morning person. I get to teach and touch lives on the other side of the globe from the corner of my apartment. AKA I talk and sing and laugh with some of the cutest kids ever- at 4am every day
- Was chosen to teach for a pilot program bringing English language classes to the most remote and rural schools in China. My class of 53 smiling faces squished in a room make Mondays and Tuesdays my favorite days.
- Fell in love with China
- Stood beside one of my best friends as she married the man of her dreams
- Traveled to San Diego to celebrate a friend of over 20 years getting married as well
- Traveled to New Orleans to visit my college roommate and solo explored the incredible city
- Attended White Sox, Cubs, Bears, and Bulls games! Go Chicago!
- Watched my sweet Mama graduate from college this year. I could not be more proud.
- Traveled to Italy, Greece, Croatia, and Macedonia
- Met some incredible people and went to fun events thanks to the blogging and Instagram communities that I found
- Lost my sweet baby Sylvester and mourned and grieved and hurt in ways I didn’t know were possible. He was truly my companion, support, and child
- Spent a weekend surrounded by friends celebrating a friend’s birthday and each other
- Ended my 3rd and started my 4th year of teaching at the same school I was hired in for TFA. Being able to watch my kids grow over the years is an honor. I love my job and my amazing kids.
- Coached a winning season of volleyball.
This year, in 2018 I plan to:
- Dance more, sing more, move more, laugh more
- Stay consistent and commit to improvements
- Step back- on things that no longer bring me joy, take too much time, or make me overly stressed
- Travel to Alaska
- Travel to Canada
- Begin saving for a trip to China in 2019
- Focus on the things that I can change, let go of those that I can’t
- Make my house a home this year – decorate, enjoy, personalize
- Take a weekend trip or two to somewhere fun
- Cultivate community and truly invest in the friendships I have made
- Focus on my word of the year (that post coming soon!)
If you’ve been around for a while, you know that each year I choose a word to focus on for the year. This year will be no different. I’ve already decided on my word for this year, and I am SO excited to share it with you all soon!
It’s been a heck of a year, and I’m excited to see what 2018 will bring!