Remember how in this post I said I’d be telling you guys how you can “treat yo’ self” on the cheap?
Well, I’m keeping that promise!
As we get busier and more stressed, it’s increasingly more important for our health- both mentally and physically- to take care of ourselves and treat ourselves to small indulgences that make us feel loved and spoiled.
We hear a lot about ways to treat ourselves that cost money or that involve buying ourselves a gift or something like a massage, but that’s not always a possibility when you’re on a budget or trying to save up some money (#teacherlife!).
I want to give you some ways to treat yourself without spending too much money! All of these ways are either free or super cheap!
Treat Yo’ Self!
1. Call a friend. Not text, not Facebook message, CALL. Maybe make it someone you haven’t talked to in a little while or someone you keep meaning to get in touch with but just haven’t had the time. This is a perfect time. Let yourself call and chat and just catch up with the person of your choice!
2. Take a long bath. If you have a bath bomb or some bubble bath, throw that stuff in there. If you don’t, just toss in some body wash or good smelling soap and let yourself relax and soak the day away. Treat yo’ self!
3. Read a good book. Re-read an old favorite, or grab a new one from your “to be read” list! Sitting down without a screen and really getting into a good book can be such a treat when we are usually running around all over the place!
4. Color something! As you know, coloring isn’t just for kids anymore! If you don’t have a coloring book at home, they are cheap to buy, or you can print off some pages online. There are even apps you can use to color in on your computer, tablet, or phone!
5. Don’t brush your teeth before bed. Wait, what? I MEAN IT. Gross, but oh-so-satisfying! You know those times where you are comfortably settled in bed, reading or on the phone or checking your social media when you know the disturbance is coming- you’re going to have to get up, wash your face, and brush your teeth. And you dread it. Just. Don’t. Do. It. Go to sleep. Stay in bed. Treat yo’ self! You earned it!
Ok, I’m done being gross (BUT IT WORKS Y’ALL)- back to the list:
6. Dance! Put your music on super loud and dance around like nobody is watching, even if someone is watching! Dance it out, Grey’s Anatomy style. If you need a dance partner, let me know!
7. Rearrange your furniture! This is one of my favorite things to do when I’m feeling down and stuck and need a pick me up. Plus, every time I wake up or come home, it’s like a surprise over and over again! Partially because I live in a small space, and partially because I’m a sucker for fun interior design, I get a kick out of rearranging my apartment. Try it!
8. Take a nap. Maybe just a little one, maybe an accidental 4-hour nap where you wake up and have no idea where you are or what day it is. A lot of time when we are overwhelmed and stressed out, it can all come back to not having enough sleep or getting enough rest. A quick nap can get you boosted and ready to take on the rest of the day, PLUS is good for your over-all health!
9. Mask your face! Ok, this one isn’t completely free, but a lot of times you’ll have ingredients for a fun DIY facemask already in your pantry! Even if you don’t, you can head to a drug store and grab a fun face mask for about $2 and let your face get a little pampering too!
10. Go to the pet store/ local animal rescue and look at/play with the puppies and kittens! Therapy animals exist for a reason, y’all, and regular animals can do the trick as well! Play with a few little animals and you’ll likely feel your happiness level rise immensely. Totally free, totally fun, and totally cute!
There you have it! Treat yo’ self! Donna Meagle and Tom Haverford would be proud.
Now it’s your turn to tell me!
What’s your favorite way to treat yourself?